Back to category Published: 14 august 2021 Author: Галина
Main types of launch vehicles launched from Baikonur
A launch vehicle or a carrier rocket is a multi-stage rocket designed to carry payloads into outer space.
This is the short information about the types of main carrier rocket families launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome over the years:
- “Vostok” is the first manned spacecraft to be launched before 1964. It was on this spacecraft that Yuri Gagarin made his first space flight.
- “Voskhod” is the second generation of manned spacecraft. The first spacewalk was made from this spacecraft.
- “Proton” is a carrier rocket. Until 2018, it was the main launch vehicle for all Soviet and Russian Salyut-DOS and Almaz orbital stations, modules of Mir and ISS stations, and artificial satellites for various purposes.
- “Zenit” is a medium-lift launch vehicle. After the collapse of the USSR, missile assembly continued in Ukraine in close production and launch cooperation with Russia.
- “Soyuz” is the third generation of Soviet and Russian spacecraft. Later versions of this spacecraft, Soyuz-5, are still used in Roscosmos programs to deliver astronauts to the ISS.
- “Energia” is a powerful launch vehicle, which was used to launch reusable manned space vehicles “Buran” into orbit. Unlike its American counterpart the “Space Shuttle”, Energia could be used more than once.
- “Buran” is the Soviet analog of the American Shuttle. “Buran” made its first and only space flight in unmanned mode on November 15, 1988.
*The maximum mass of payload to be launched into low Earth orbit is given in parentheses
What to see and visit in Baikonur?
The main attractions and interesting places to see and visit dur...
12 august 2021