Nature Parks and Reserves in Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan is home to ten nature reserves and thirteen national parks, which are a haven for many rare and endangered plants and animals. One of these rare plants is the wild Sivers apple tree, or Tien Shan apple tree, which many scientists consider the progenitor of all known apple varieties in the world.
Excursions to national parks and recreational areas are an obligatory part of the tourist programs of any tour operator in the country.
National Parks of Kazakhstan (13)
- Bayanaul State National Nature Park. Pavlodar region.
- Ile-Alatau State National Nature Park. Almaty region.
- State National Nature Park "Altyn-Emel". Almaty region.
- State National Nature Park "Kokshetau". Akmola region and North Kazakhstan region.
- Karkarala State National Nature Park. Karaganda region.
- State National Nature Park "Burabay". Akmola region.
- Katon-Karagai State National Nature Park. East Kazakhstan region.
- Charyn State National Nature Park. Almaty region.
- Sairam-Ugam state national nature park. South Kazakhstan region.
- "Kolsai Lakes" State National Nature Park Almaty region.
- Zhongar-Alatau State National Nature Park. Almaty region.
- "Buiratau State" National Nature Park. Akmola region and Karaganda region.
- "Tarbagatai" State National Nature Park. East Kazakhstan region.
It was planned to open two more national parks by 2020, but they are still in the planning stages:
- "Merke" State National Nature Park in Zhambyl region.
- Ulytau State National Nature Park in Karaganda region.
Nature Reserves of Kazakhstan (10)
- Aksu-Zhabagly State Nature Reserve. It was founded in 1926. The first and oldest nature reserve in Kazakhstan. It is located in Turkistan and Zhambyl regions.
- Almaty State Nature Reserve. It was founded in 1931. The main purpose of the reserve is to protect and study the natural complexes of the Northern Tien Shan. It is located in Almaty region.
- Naurzum State Nature Reserve, founded in 1931. 20 years after its creation, the reserve was closed but was restored in 1966. It is located on the territory of Kostanai region.
- Barsakelmes State Nature Reserve. It was founded in 1939. The only reserve in Kazakhstan and the CIS with extreme environmental conditions. It is located in the zone of the ecological disaster on a global scale (decrease of the level and disappearance of the Aral Sea).
- Korgalzhyn State Nature Reserve,was founded in 1968. It is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as part of the Saryarka - Steppes, and Lakes of Northern Kazakhstan. It is located in Akmola and Karaganda regions.
- Markakol State Nature Reserve,was founded in 1976, in East Kazakhstan region.
- Ustyurt State Nature Reserve.It was founded in Mangystau region in 1984.
- West-Altai State Nature Reserve,was founded in 1992 in the East Kazakhstan region.
- Alakol State Nature Reserve.It was founded in 1988 and expanded to its current size on October 5, 2010. It is located on the territory of Almaty and East Kazakhstan regions.
- Karatau State Nature Reserve, founded in 2004 in Turkistan region. The youngest Kazakhstani nature reserve.
The professionals of most travel agencies in Kazakhstan will help to organize tours to national nature parks or nature reserves for wildlife lovers.
National Crafts in Kazakhstan
Kazakhstan has its own unique folk crafts that originated in anc...